Okay, What is the one summer treat that you wish was low carb? For me it would be the Dilly[‘ bar! Ice cream dipped in chocolate and put on a stick. Seriously is there anything better then this retro treat? The Here is A Low Carb Dilly Bar Recipe that only uses 3 Ingredients!
Dilly Bars were released by Dairy queen in 1955. The nostalgia is real! They are still a favorite of many kids and adults today. Growing up I remember driving down to our local DQ with my Nana to get a yummy Dilly Bar! Of course the original chocolate is my favorite but the cherry was a yummy treat too.
I always wanted to share this memory with my own kid. When Emma was diagnosed with diabetes it was one of the things I thought we wouldn’t be able to do together. (I think it’s important to mention that diabetics can eat what they would like and that it is our own option to eat low carb.) So this summer I was dedicated to coming up with a recipe that she could enjoy without blood sugar spikes!
It took a while to perfect the recipe. But thanks to Real Good Foods and their yummy ice cream I have finally achieved what seemed impossible just a few months ago! Now Emma and I enjoy this yummy treat a few times a week! Both making and eating them make for great bonding and a lot of laughs! Keep reading for ingredients, instructions, and tips!
- You can use any Real Good Foods Ice cream flavor. The classic choice would be their SUPER PREMIUM TANZANIAN VANILLA ICE But Emmas favorite is the SUPER PREMIUM MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP ICE CREAM
- The Linked Keto chocolate comes in Dark Chocolate, Milk Chocolate, and White chocolate! You can add food coloring to the white chocolate to make all kinds of fun colored Dilly bars!
- Keep your Coconut oil at room temperature to speed up the melting process
- If you don’t have wooden popsicle sticks reusable plastic straws are a great alternative for kiddos
- Add one cup of Keto Chocolate chips to a pan and melt with medium to high heat.
- Add 3 Tablespoon of Coconut Oil to the melted chocolate. Stir and melt until it is smooth
- Take your Pint of Real Good Foods Ice cream! Using a sharp knife cut the Pint horizontally so you have ice cream disks!
- Insert a Popsicle stick into each ice cream disk.
- Pour chocolate mixture into shallow bowl
- Dip one side of Ice cream disk into mixture and freeze for 5 minutes, repeat on the other side
- Freeze the fully covered disk for 5 minutes
- Remove from freezer and ENJOY!
I hope you and your family enjoy the last few weeks of summer!
Michelle & Emma